Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Menchanko-Tei Waikiki (めんちゃんこ亭)

Last weekend a bunch of my friends and I visited Menchanko-Tei on the word of Alyyygator saying that I needed to try the Kikuzo ramen there. A couple of my friends had the Kikuzo ramen, two had the Menchanko, two others had the Miso Menchanko and I had the Hakata ramen.



I enjoyed the Hakata broth very much. I have tried the Hakata ramen at Ippudo @ Yokohama Eki and I think that the broth at Ippudo is slightly richer. Also Ippudo has fresh garlic cloves that you can grate into your ramen. Like when I go to Taishoken, I love to have a lot of garlic in my broth when I eat ramen. If Menchanko had garlic as a condiment it would be a nice addition. The noodles were your typical Hakata style noodles, thin, but I wish they were a bit more firm. I guess since I like Taishoken’s noodles so much I compare all to it. Even though it might not be how traditional Hakata is prepared I would rather have Taishoken’s noodles in this and many other broths that I have enjoyed. The aji tsuke tamago was good. The chashu doesn’t meet up to the melt in your mouth goodness of Yotteko-ya’s chashu.



I tried the soup and noodles from my friend’s order of Kikuzo. I am not a big shoyu based broth guy and thus I didn’t get too excited by the Kikuzo. The noodles on the other hand were pretty good. I wouldn’t have minded if my Hakata had the noodles used in the Kikuzo ramen.



I didn’t get to try any of the Menchanko's my friends ordered so I can’t comment about them. One of the two Menchanko's above is the miso one but I can't tell which. So I'll leave it up to you to figure it out.

I would recommend checking this place out. I want to go back again during dinner hours, since many of their items weren’t served during the lunch hours when we went. Some of the items I would like to order next time are the Yuba Motsu Nabe (湯葉牛もつ鍋; Tofu Curd and Beed Tripe hot pot) and the Buta Kaku-ni (豚の角煮; Simmered Pork Cubes)


2 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 23, 2005 at 12:47:00 AM GMT-10, Blogger Reid said...

Hi Jup,

Wouldn't you know I was planning on blogging this place as soon as I got my act together. I prefer Taishoken or Yotteko-ya as well, but this isn't too bad.

 
At Tuesday, March 29, 2005 at 7:00:00 PM GMT-10, Blogger jupiter said...

Reid,

Did you go here yet? If not let me know if you are planning to go soon I would like to revisit this place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home