Monday, March 14, 2005

Natto (納豆) Spaghetti

I think I might have a bit of time this week to get some posts up. This is a straggler post from back before I went to Japan. Being that I love natto so much it is only fitting that I have at least one natto post. So here it goes!

I made natto spaghetti for my friend and me waaaay back at the beginning of the year. It is really simple to make. Here is the list of ingredients:

2 "quarters" dry spaghetti
1 package natto
6 strips bacon
1/8 Maui onion
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt

To start off either buy the type of natto that is already chopped up or chop it up your self. Then mix in the mustard and tare (sauce) that comes with it. Place on the side.

Cut up the bacon into ½” pieces and dice up the onion. Toss both in to a fry pan and cook until the bacon is browned. Drain all but a tablespoon of the bacon fat.

Cook the spaghetti until it is al dente. Drain the spaghetti and incorporate it well with the bacon, bacon fat and onion. You can season it with salt and pepper at this time. Plate the spaghetti with the natto placed in the center. You can choose to garnish the natto with many of the typical garnishes that go with natto. Some of these garnishes include a raw egg yolk, negi (green onion) and katsuo-bushi (shaved dried bonito). In my pictures I didn’t garnish it with anything. Making this fed my craving for Pietro’s Natto and Crispy Bacon Spaghetti.

Serves 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home