Sunday, March 27, 2005

Mr. Frypan

Kinda funny…In preparation of writing this review I was looking back at Reid's review of Mr. Frypan so I didn't regurgitate anything he already might have mentioned about the place and I just realized that he and I ordered almost the same thing and even our outside shot of the place is almost the exact same. Great minds think alike! Well anyways, on to the review.

The other week I had jury duty which brought me to downtown and thus I was excited that I would be able to enjoy my lunches on those days at many of the great eateries of downtown. The first day I chose Mr. Frypan. I heard about Mr. Frypan many years ago and have wanted to try it since. But generally I don’t like going to downtown and trying to find parking just to go to one place. So now it was finally my chance to eat there. I made friends with a couple jurors and we headed down there on our lunch break. Considering it was 1:00PM it was pretty crowded.



With all the items on the menu I had a hard time choosing. You know how that goes, especially when you are HUNGRY!





Well I ended up ordering the #16 which is the menchi katsu curry (hamburger) and a side piece of croquette.



I was a bit disappointed. The menchi katsu was not fresh. The breading was soggy and the filling didn’t taste quite that fresh. Although right after I ordered, the two juror friends, who ordered the exact same thing as me, got a fresh batch of menchi katsu. The curry itself was a bit bland although I must say that it had that homemade feel to it. I think I just ate there on an ‘off’ day. I can’t recommend this place yet, until I try it again. Although I don’t know when I will be revisiting. There are many other places that have pretty darn good Japanese style katsu and aren’t in downtown. Although I can’t think of one that has menchi katsu which is my favorite.

By the way, on that first day I was chosen to be on the jury and the trial lasted only one day. So that only left me with two places to choose from in downtown for lunch. Mr. Frypan is one and I am ashamed to say where I ate on the second day....HAH

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 29, 2005 at 2:15:00 AM GMT-10, Blogger Reid said...

Jup,

Sorry you had a bad experience at Mr. Frypan. Generally the food is good, and if I have time, I like to wait for the fresh food to be served. I find that the curry here is a little on the sweet side. Next time you're in downtown, we can go to Maki's. The curry is better there.

BTW...have you tried Imperial Cafe? I think they have hamburger katsu curry.

 
At Tuesday, March 29, 2005 at 6:58:00 PM GMT-10, Blogger jupiter said...

Reid,

Yea, I am sure it was just bad timing. I have heard many good things about this place and they have been open a while so they must being doing something right. I would love to try Maki's. I'll let you know the next time I am in downtown.

Btw where is Imperial Cafe? And is it real Japanese style menchi katsu?

 
At Friday, April 1, 2005 at 8:01:00 PM GMT-10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of katsu there is a place across BMW Hawaii that was a katsu resturant. its in the white a maroon building. ate there twice definately japanese katsu feel and pretty tasty.

 
At Saturday, April 2, 2005 at 3:21:00 AM GMT-10, Blogger Reid said...

Hi Jup,

It's located right near Yanagi Sushi, Lexus and BMW on Kapiolani Blvd. It's on the ground floor of the Imperial Plaza. I'm not sure if it's the real style menchi katsu as I haven't had it before, but the chicken katsu is the best that I've ever had.

BTW...I think the owners are Korean.

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 12:30:00 AM GMT-10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nattokun

Just wanted to tell you that Mr. Frypan closed down. I was really disappointed that they did. I thought they had pretty good Japanese style curry. Weird that it was always busy come lunch and around 1:00. But to find them closed for good makes you wonder that just because a place looks busy doesn't mean they are doing well financially.

Aloha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home