Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Nico's at Pier 38

Ok here I am and I am alive and kicking. There are many reasons why I haven’t posted in a while. I started racing motorcycles again, work, attempting to have a social life, yada yada yada… So, anyhow I finally visited Nicos back in July and only now I am going to complete my post on it.

It has been a while since I visited so my post will be quite short, not like my posts are long in the first place…

I ordered the grilled marlin with dill butter sauce.



I was a bit disappointed with my choice. I found that the marlin was over cooked and thus ended up very dry. Also the sauce was very bland and flavorless.

My friend ordered the double cheeseburger with French fries. He didn’t feel like eating any seafood (which I feel is sacrilege at a seafood joint), so I suggested the burger because Reid (who committed the same crime) enjoyed his.



He seemed to enjoy it, as I remember, because in no time the burger was gone. Either that or he was very hungry.

I do want to revisit Nicos and try other offerings there to get a better sampling of what they are all about and to see if my experience was just a "off" day for them.

Other reviews:

Reid @ Ono Kine Grindz' review of Nico's at Pier 38
Helen Wu's Honolulu Advertiser review of Nico's at Pier 38
Gail Jennings' Hawaii Diner review of Nico's at Pier 38
Nadine Kam's Honolulu Star-Bulletin review of Nico's at Pier 38

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 9:21:00 PM GMT-10, Blogger Reid said...

Hey Jup,

Nice to see you back! It's been a while. You should definitely try the burger next time...it's soooo good!

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 at 7:37:00 AM GMT-10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jupiter - Great to have you posting again!

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 7:59:00 AM GMT-10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My memory is failing me... wasn't Nico's a finalist for Hawaii Diner's Burger Wars last summer? Everyone says they're worth a try.

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 11:08:00 PM GMT-10, Blogger Larry said...

Do go back for another visit--they now have pies and other luscious baked things by Samantha Choy, formerly of the Hawaii Diner. We enjoyed a huge slice of her apple pie last visit. Chunks of still crisp apple slices inside, not overspiced as one sometimes finds in inferior pies.

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 1:58:00 PM GMT-10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food may be great but customer service is bad, Three of us ordered fish and chips, I ordered 5 minutes before other two in party. They got food 10 minutes before me, when questioned lady at counter she rattled off three excuses, I told her I was the customer and she said so. Asked to speak to supervisor she said you are. Rude service tried to blame me for mistake. Nico finally came out to see what happened and he basically sided with staff, will never go back and I even tipped when paid by credit card while other two did not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home