Monday, June 20, 2005

Willie G's Seafood and Steak House

As I arrived in downtown Denver I eyed a bunch of steakhouses. Willie G’s being one of them. I decided to eat there on my last night of my trip.



My waitress first brought out some sourdough bread. When I broke off a piece it was piping hot. This was a good sign that the bread was fresh out of the oven. The bread was served with olive oil and fresh cracked pepper. The Bread had a nice crispy crust and it was soft inside.



The appetizer I ordered arrived next. They were a 1/2 dozen Blue Point oysters on the half shell. I was told that these particular oysters were farm raised in the cold waters of the Delaware Bay. They were served with freshly grated horseradish, cocktail sauce, lime and lemon. It was very fresh with a nice crisp briny flavor.



Next up was my main dish. Now I could have ordered the special which was a cowboy cut 20 oz. dry aged, bone in rib eye steak served with artichoke risotto, but I opted for what I had since I have never had it before. What I ordered was the dry aged 12 oz. buffalo rib eye. It was char broiled to my liking (medium rare) and served with a side of perfectly steamed vegetables (green zucchini, yellow zucchini, carrots, and broccoli) and homemade garlic mash. I also was able to choose between two sauces: béarnaise and rosemary-peppercorn, but I asked for both sauces and they happy obliged. My first bite of this steak was… WOW. It just melted in my mouth. Although I have to say I really couldn’t discern this from beef. The flavor of the rosemary and peppercorn blended with a red wine reduction to make the rosemary-peppercorn sauce which perfectly complimented the steak. I typically go by the belief that a good steak doesn't need a sauce, but I found my buffalo rib eye taking a swim in the rosemary-peppercorn sauce quite often.



This is what I COULD have ordered for dessert (starting at the piece nearest, going counter-clockwise): 6 layer chocolate fudge cake, key lime pie, raspberry-blackberry-strawberry tart, turtle torte with caramel fudge and pecans, NY style cheesecake. I didn’t order any because: 1. I was full and 2. It only takes a little to satiate my sweet tooth so any one portion would have been waaaay too much for me (I usually share desserts).

1 Comments:

At Monday, June 20, 2005 at 6:38:00 PM GMT-10, Blogger Reid said...

Hi Jup,

OK. I normally don't eat any meat that is still pink (read: I only eat my steaks well done). That said, this sounds great, and I can tell you from experience that a great steak, even well done, will be tender. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home